A trio of electric cars are among the worst first year depreciators in a Bottom 10 released by motor trade valuation analysts Glass’s.
The Renault Fluence, Citroen C-Zero and Nissan LEAF E have all lost more than three-quarters of their value after covering 12,000 miles during the last 12 months.
Other models in the list include the lowest-powered, entry level versions of some generally popular but ageing models such as the Vauxhall Insignia and Renault Megane.
Valuations chief for Glass’s Rupert Pontin says: “The motor trade and the used car buying public remain interested in electric cars but are still reticent to actually buy them in numbers – and these depreciation figures reflect that fact.
“To be fair, these three EVs are among some of the least attractive on the market – the Fluence and C-Zero both have a ‘last generation’ feel while the LEAF E is on the bottom rung of the LEAF range – but their presence does reflect the fact that the EV sector remains sluggish.”
Glass’s says there’s very little enthusiasm in the market generally for poorly-equipped cars and if they are also becoming dated and have an older engine, it hits their prospects in the used market.
However, Pontin believes these highly depreciating models now represent excellent value for money.
He says: “It would be difficult to recommend a new Renault Fluence costing more than £22,000 but one that is around £5,000-£6,000 at 12 months old is arguably a good buy for someone looking to try EV motoring.”
The Bottom 10, and their depreciation after 12 months/12,000 miles, are:
- Renault Fluence E Z.E. (95bhp) Expression+ saloon four door auto, 27.21%.
- Vauxhall Meriva 1.4 16v (99bhp) Expression MPV five door (2010 Model Year), 29.05%.
- Chevrolet Cruze 1.4 (100ps) 4X4 LS station wagon five door 1398cc (2014 MY), 31.78%.
- Citroen C-ZERO E hatchback five door auto, 32.07%.
- Nissan LEAF E hatchback five door auto, 33.23%.
- Renault Megane 1.6 (100bhp) Extreme estate five door, 33.26%.
- Vauxhall Insignia 1.4i 16v Turbo (140ps) SRi saloon 4d 1364cc (2012.5 MY), 34.98%.
- Peugeot 207 SW 1.4 8v (75bhp) Access estate five door, 35.62%.
- Chevrolet Orlando 1.4 Turbo (140ps) LS five door 1364cc (2014 MY), 35.96%.
- Peugeot 308 1.6VTi (120bhp) Access hatchback five door 1598cc (2013.5 MY), 36.04%.